Tabbing through columns in Input Row

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MFinkle

MFinkle
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:52 AM

We added the ability to TAB (and SHIFT + TAB) through the columns in the Input Row. It was not very difficult, but required code changes in several PAS units.

Let me know if you want the code to add to TGridView.

Mark Finkle

#2 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,195 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:02 AM

Hello Marc,

Yes please. I have try this several times but I can't catch TAB key for some reason sad.gif Please send me code and I will include it.

regards
boki@bergsoft.net | LinkedIn Profile
--
BergSoft Home Page: www.bergsoft.net
Users Section: users.bergsoft.net
Articles and Tutorials: help.bergsoft.net (Developers Network)
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--
Send us applications made with our components and we will submit them on: www.bergsoft.net/apps.htm. Link to this page will be also set on home page too.

#3 NoSi

NoSi
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hi Marc, Hi Boki,

what is the status of this? Is this ability available with next update (@Boki) or have I to add this by myself (where can I find the changes...)?

If it is part of the next update :twisted: ... when will it be available?

#4 MFinkle

MFinkle
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:52 AM

I am collecting the code changes. We recently added code to handle auto-scrolling as you TAB across the grid. Also, we added a property to control how the TAB key should be handled:
1. Allow tabbing inside the grid and stop on the last column
2. Allowing tabbing inside the grid and jump to the next control on the form after the last column.

#1 is good when the gridview is the only control on a form (Align = alClient)

#2 is good when the gridview is on a dialog with other controls.

I'll send the changes to Boki soon.

MFinkle

#5 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,195 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:31 AM

Thank you Mark.

regards
--
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--
Send us applications made with our components and we will submit them on: www.bergsoft.net/apps.htm. Link to this page will be also set on home page too.

#6 NoSi

NoSi
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

That´s great!

I have to say, that the handling of the grid seems a l little bit "unusual" to me. Maybe I did not find the perfect options settings yet, but as I mentioned in another thread, I´d prefer the handling as given in other apps: F2 for editing, Alt-Down for opening lists, aso. Tabbing thru the grid will be a major improvement and a great step to the behaviour, users usually can handle without explanation.

To have a better control on the input (header), I miss some events - but this is part of investigations, I am still going to do. Maybe some explanations and completion of help file would decrease some of my "beginner challenges".

#7 jamiguel77

jamiguel77
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

can share the code for work the TAB key?

thanks

#8 Guest_MarMai_*

Guest_MarMai_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

I am also interested in these additional TAB-Functionality!!! Is it also working with former GridView-Versions?

Can you send me a list of changes I have to do?

Thanks a lot!

#9 Guest_MarMai_*

Guest_MarMai_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hi again,

I've updated to newest NextGrid-Version. Can you share the code for tabbing-through-columns now?

I hope to hear soon of you!

Thanks!
Martina

#10 MFinkle

MFinkle
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

We are planning to share the code. Unfortunately, we are working with a forked version of TGridView (TNxGrid). We will have to merge our changes into the current release, which is not trivial and won't happen until November timeframe.

#11 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,195 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Hello,

I have add it into v3.3.1 officialy. There is new property named WantTabs: Boolean for using Tab key.

Best regards
--
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--

#12 MFinkle

MFinkle
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:48 PM

Great Boki !

That's one less feature we need to merge when we start using the latest version of NxGrid.

Thanks

#13 wvd_vegt

wvd_vegt

Master Member

• Honorable Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Now up for a treecolumn! ;-)
G.W. van der Vegt

#14 Raymond

Raymond
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:11 AM

Yes... biggrin.gif

tree column / hierarchical data handling (child/parent/grandparent/etc) is very important to me as well...

Especially if we can have controll over when a node is expanded... that way we can load _only_ the root items and then load a node's children when that node is expanded.

This really speeds things up!!!

-Raymond

#15 wvd_vegt

wvd_vegt

Master Member

• Honorable Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:31 PM

Hi Raymond,

I think the dynamic creation of children is a a nice fature but for most small projects a bit overkill (but i would love to see it).

Btw I made the remark because i started on a treecolumn myself last week to see if the show/hiding of NextGrid could be used to mimic a tree. By simply adding a datastructure with the indent level and visibility count and writing some code to add a child (that is insert a row at the correct place in the table) it seems to work. Drawback off-course is that you should not mix addrow with addchild calls as it will ruin the dadastructure.

I used a normal text column for display of +/- signs, so nothing graphical or mouse awareness yet (but i pm'ed the code to Boki ;-) in order so he can have a look at it).

Your request could perhaps be done if you add the children but do not fill the columns yet. At the moment i use the data stored in the cells of the trecolumn to compute the +/- signs so there should be at least a single child.
G.W. van der Vegt

#16 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,195 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

Hello Wim and Ray,

I have receive sample code from Wim, but I also have start to work something similar. Now it is quite easy to made tree column because there is show/hide feature for rows.

If you have some more suggestions about tree column, please tell me.

Best regards
Boki (Berg)
--
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--

#17 Raymond

Raymond
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

Boki and Wim...

This is great news.. and has what has prevented me from using NextGrid in many of my projects up to now!!!!!

I do like the dynamic load of child data to keep the loads fast...

Think about it this way, only the root needs to be loaded.

Upon an expand of a node, then I could use this Event to dynamically add in whatever children (maybe via SQL...) that belong to this parent node.

I am not saying that all nodes could not be loaded right away... but if you have lots of data or need some speed... then the Expand event would allow you to have this flexibility.

What this means is that the HasChildren property of a node could be set to True when the Node is created.

When the node is expanded the "attempt" could be made to load the children of this node.

If no children exist, then the HasChildren property could be set to False.

I hope this makes sense ... I have only started to sip on my espresso and my head is still a bit foggy! biggrin.gif

-Raymond

#18 wvd_vegt

wvd_vegt

Master Member

• Honorable Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

Indeed good news!!! I hope i can exepect a first version real soon (any idea when?) as i want to use it in one of my projects. If you need testers, please let me now!

Perhaps an idea is to make an OnGetChildCount event that is called whenever you need the childcount. If > 0 it means it's not a leafnode. For hidden nodes it doesn't get called until their parent becomes visible.

Together with an OnBeforeExpand event you could than load the next level of nodes. To mirrot things i would like see a OnAfterCollapse too so you can remove data to preserve resources by removing data.

btw I had some nasty scrolling problems with my sample code.

But it's perhaps good to keep the focus on the fact that most trees will be small and be statically loaded with data.
G.W. van der Vegt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users