Evaluating NextGrid - Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kamiller42

kamiller42
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

I've been looking over NextSuite 6 and NextSuite 5. NextSuite 6 looks like it has a long way to go, so I eliminated that one. So, I have questions about 5.

I notice there is a data aware grid and inspector. Are those the only data aware controls? How do you bind the editors to a field? Live bindings? For example, I want to bind a TNxCalcEdit to a currency field or a date field to a TNxMonthCalendarExt.

Does 5 support grouping where you can expand and collapse grouped rows?

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of using NextGrid over Dev Express' grid?

#2 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Hello Sir,

NextDBGrid is data-aware (read data from DataSet), but use same mechanism for Columns, drawing etc. from NextGrid (non-Db).

NextDBInspector is NextInspector 100% + new Db aware features. NextDBInspector may be used as non-db control too (except that it require DB to be installed in Delphi, and few Db units to be added automatically as you place control).

2) Grouping - it is not supported for v5. For v6 it will be added, I am working from start to add it.

3) In my eyes, and what I have try to achieve NextGrid is far less bloated and much more snappy. I have try to not add every possible feature (but there are a lot added in careful way). Also, learning curve is quite easy. I have specially take care on this. Also, price is much lower (and all future updates/source code are free). One great thing about NextGrid is that you may easily find place (even dozens of NextGrids) for it in any application. We can't forgotten other smaller components from Next Collection.
boki@bergsoft.net | LinkedIn Profile
--
BergSoft Home Page: www.bergsoft.net
Users Section: users.bergsoft.net
Articles and Tutorials: help.bergsoft.net (Developers Network)
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--
Send us applications made with our components and we will submit them on: www.bergsoft.net/apps.htm. Link to this page will be also set on home page too.

#3 kamiller42

kamiller42
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear about grouping in v6. I found many components in v5 missing in v6, so I can't consider at this time.

It seems the solution for DB editing on a form is to use the NextDbInspector. It's not possible to drop one of the many Next editors, like TNxCalcEdit and TNxMonthCalendarExt, and attach to a data field. Correct?

I do find NextGrid a fast performer and nice and clean in visual appearance. Before I use it, I need to make sure I have user interface requirements met. I use DB data editors a lot.

#4 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hello Sir,

Please note that v5 and v6 may be used in same IDE (v6 add 6 suffix to every control) and I have a plan to offer v5 for free for all v6 users (this will help in transition period). Also, every v5 user now get a v6 for free (since all subscriptions are lifetime at the moment).

At the moment DB Editors can't be assigned to item in NextDBInspector (or normal non-db inspector). It is not very hard to add, most probably I have never added it since nobody asked so far (most probably because default editor fit nice for every item type).

In v6 it is important to remember that every control which implement INxInplaceEdit interface may become editor (!). This mean that even third party controls may be used as editor with little coding (mostly copy/paste coding).
--
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--
Send us applications made with our components and we will submit them on: www.bergsoft.net/apps.htm. Link to this page will be also set on home page too.

#5 kamiller42

kamiller42
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Sorry. What I wrote must be confusing.

I did not mean putting DB editors into a NextDbInspector or non-db inspector. I was asking about using any of the components on the Next Editors component palette as DB editors on a TForm. This way, I can create my own data form using Next editors like I can using Delphi's standard Data Controls or Dev Express' "Express DB Editors." If Next data aware edit controls existed, I guess they would be on a "Next DB Editors" palette.

#6 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hello Sir,

Unfortunately in v5 there are only non-db editors. I think that I will add them in v6. Then, even users who want v5 can use v6 Db-editors.

I am trying to find best way to do it and to avoid writing for example DatePicker in both db and non-db version, but instead inherit non-db version and add db functionality. Later when I update non-db control, dp control will be updated too.
--
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--

#7 kamiller42

kamiller42
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

Would leaving data awareness of editors to Live Bindings help? I haven't even tried it, so I am not sure how well Live Bindings works for this purpose.

#8 Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

Boki (Berg)

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hello Sir,

I am not sure how it will work with TField. Also, it seems that it is much complicated.

I am thinking about having Data (TNxDataObject) property for each edit control which I may easily attach to the control.

For example DB version of DatePicker will only need to create TNxDataObject and editor will get DB features.
--
--
BergSoft Facebook page
--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users